Saturday, September 17, 2011

Marital Troubles in the Digital World

My husband refuses to have a Facebook.

It doesn't seem like a serious life decision; an insignificant choice really. Nothing that should affect our lives.

He says that he has too much to do and that "Fascespace My Face thingy is just a waste of time." I can't totally disagree with him there, but I tell him how cool it is that I have been able to connect with people that I haven't seen for years. He just shrugs it off.

"Look, I got through the entire decade of the 90s without programming a VCR; I am going to get through the 20 teens without a Facebook."

Personally, I think he is just trying to keep up his old curmudgeon persona -- he likes to be described as a "grumpy old man" (which is ironic, as he is only 33 -- and I am 6 years older than he is). He always talks about "kids today" and likes to shake the canes left in our house by his grandparents. I keep telling myself it's his schtick. But it has started to create problems in our marriage.

More than once, I have reminded him about party invitations and family events (sent on Facebook, of course), to which his reply is always, "Well, I wasn't invited."

"Of course you are invited, it says so right here," I always yell, pointing at my Facebook Events Page.

"If they can't pick up a phone, or just send an email to me, then I am not going."

At this point, I usually growl at him (a habit my 21-month-old daughter has picked up) and proceed to gently (in my mind anyway) tell him why he IS going. We have a short back-and-forth, and he decides it is in his best interest to go to whatever event it is. This scenario has repeated more than once.

I don't know why I get upset by this. Perhaps I should take his anti-tech nature as a cute quirk, but somehow I can't. It may be because, at times, he wants the best of both worlds.

"Hey, do you think we should have a Facebook page for the farm?" He asked one day a few months ago, "I hear everyone has them."

After I created the page, I tried again to get him to have his own account, if only for business purposes.

"I don't need one -- you have one," he said and smiled. "Hey, can you help me make the clicker work? I can't get the t.v. on."

"Of course you can't."

Sometimes I wonder how I am ever going to be able to teach students anything, when I can't even teach my own husband.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting entry for me, Sherry. Both my wife and I have FaceBook pages. I really don't use mine very much - I tell myself I'm doing lots of technology and that's just not one I happen to b interested in. My wife isn't crazy for FaceBook, but she does use hers more than I do mine. Could it be a gender thing? (ed. note My wife is also older than I am)...Hmmm

    ReplyDelete