Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Put the Cellphone Down and Walk Away Slowly

As I sat browsing through my subscription feeds this evening, I came across this apt cartoon in one of my favorite magazines The Week. It reminded me of a conversation that I had earlier today with a few co-workers during our first fire drill of the school year.

As we stood in the parking lot waiting for the all-clear, one of my colleagues relayed a story of a sophomore who stood his textbook up on his desk, and then proceeded to text throughout the class.

My friend was verbalizing his thoughts on what should be done -- in the past he had collected all cell phones in a "phone jail" (aka "basket") that would then be returned after class. Unfortunately as class sizes grew, this option became more unwieldy. "Maybe I'll just have a cellphone jail for those who break the rule."

As I trotted back up to my room, I thought about one middle school teacher that the kids called "the cell phone Nazi." According to my obviously honest cherubs, "All she did was walk around yelling, 'Put that phone away, or it's mine.'" I thought about how exhausting it must be to make electronic devices your own personal crusade.

And yet, I understood her.

Over the years, I have confiscated or threatened to confiscate many an electronic device and have been interrupted in class by the inadvertent ring. What is shocking to me is how many times my students tell me that it is their moms or dads calling or texting. One day last year, a student actually answered his ringing phone and told his mother that he was in the middle of class, and that the teacher was going to yell at him now. He ended with "How many times have I told you not to call me in class?"

Ultimately, these distractions interrupt the learning process -- which is often difficult to regain momentum after such an event. I wonder how we could impart this information to parents, as it seems they, and not their students, may be the ones who need it most.

4 comments:

  1. I suspect this very scenario is played out nearly verbatim in middle and high school classrooms across the nation. (And, sadly, I don't doubt that there are a few elementary teachers who could relate, as well.)
    Many people today (myself included) consider their cell phone to be an extension of their very being. I believe that our job is not to confiscate, but to educate. We will never win the battle of elimination; therefore, let's teach our students to be responsible users of technology.
    And, unfortunately, that may well mean teaching the parents, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start by discussing the annoyances with the students. Have them set the boundaries. Every day for the last two weeks I have watched 1st grade, 2nd grade and 3rd grade teachers sit down with their kids and make a list of rules with them about how to deal with issues at their own level. The kids then take these rules they have helped to create and write them down and post them, powerful later when they are all held accountable to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your suggestion so intriguing, Amy. Often the simplest solutions are the best, as are the most honest. I moved out of the public high school classroom when cellphones were just arriving on the scene (and still few and far enough between to be handled on a case-by-case basis). It's hard to imagine the challenge they may have come to prevent. Unlike many school issues there are no established protocols (no rules of the game) in place for this phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh the cell phone battle and the multiple not-so-subtle ways kids think they are pulling one over on us. Inside the hoodie pocket, up the sleeve, in the bathroom, in the purse, behind a book, in the lap. I refuse to let it bother me. I just say "Are your texting, Johnny?" This year, I AM going to make them turn their phones in before a test, though.
    I don't have the energy to be a Nazi. Cell phones, like the internet, are really changing culture. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete